Read CA’s response to COVID-19 here >>
The Volunteer Friends Program is a respite activities and holiday program which gives individuals who have a disability and live independently or permanently with a carer, the opportunity to enjoy social gatherings and outings, with the support and participation of volunteers.
- Independence and self-esteem.
- Individual needs support.
- Community participation/integration.
- A variety of leisure/social activities.
- Have a diagnosed Intellectual Disability (ID), an Acquired brain Injury (ABI), or a physical or sensory disability.
- Live with their family or independently and/or with family support
- Are at least 15yrs for the ‘Jets’ football program
- 16-35 years for Friday Night Fun (FNF) at Community Accessability Wodonga
- 18 years plus for general activities, overnights & holidays
- Live in the Shire of Wodonga, Indigo, Alpine, Wangaratta or Benalla.
- Indoor cricket, ten pin bowling, Friday Night Fun, Country Music & Dance, visiting the pub to play pool, playing football with the O & M Jets, going out for dinner, dancing and cinema nights to name a few.
- Weekend activities can include long weekends, AFL football trips, shopping trips, visiting the theatre, music festivals and other places of interest- Echuca, Ballarat, Bendigo & Beechworth etc.
- Holidays have included the Gold Coast, Mornington Peninsula, Great Ocean Road, Warrnambool, Ballarat, Grampians, Apollo Bay, Canberra, Tamworth, Dubbo, Blue Mountains, Shoalhaven and excitingly, P &O cruises!
All the activities and holidays start as an idea of a participant or a volunteer friend. Our activities and holidays are advertised through the newsletter, and all participants and volunteers can take part in the holiday or activity of their choice.
The role of a Volunteer Support Person in the VFP, is to befriend and to help support our participant achieve their goals in respect to their chosen activities or holidays.
Volunteers will need the following:
- Police Check
- Working with Children Check
- First Aid (helpful but not essential)
- A genuine interest in people with a disability to access holidays and activities in the community.
- Have a sense of adventure and travel
- Enjoy having your photo taken
We understand that everyone’s time is valuable, so providing support when your time allows is fine. You will be provided with ongoing training and workshops, and most costs for volunteers are covered, except the occasional lunch. Volunteers are not required to provide personal care.
Please view the position description for more information
To complete an expression of interest Click Here